Step-by-step: Moving business premises
Moving your business? Ensure you don’t leave anything behind in the office relocation with our handy guide.
Preparation is key, so here’s a handy guide to ensure your office relocation runs as smoothly as possible.
Before the move
- Appoint a move coordinator and/or committee
- Assign numbered work spaces in the new premises to employees
- Name communal spaces to help staff navigate the new space
- Ensure all network infrastructure and furniture needs are ready
- Confirm what day you’ll have keys and access to the new space
- Ensure the removal company has adequate insurance and access to the building
- Talk to service providers, especially internet and electricity, to ensure they can meet your new needs
- Ensure new office premises are covered under existing insurance policies
- Organise packing equipment
- Make sure all facilities will be working on move-in day including toilets, fridges and power
- Send clear instructions to staff about packing processes
- Send staff a map of the new location including work spaces
- Keep a moving schedule in a communal area to update staff
- Provide staff with their allocated moving and desk number
- Place desktop items such as keyboards and cables into boxes and label with allocated number
- Also label larger electronics and furniture according to the workspace
- Empty, lock or tape all filing cabinets
- Valuable and personal items should be taken home rather than packed
- Assign teams to pack up communal spaces
TIP: Send a representative of each team to the new location to assess the designated work spaces and report any issues prior to the move.
AGL's Moving Office Checklist
Our Moving House checklist has everything you need to remember when planning the big move.Download now
During the move
- Consider having staff work remotely if possible
- Work on one area of the new office at a time
- Connect phones and computers. Prioritise network and internet.
- Test all technology prior to staff arriving
- Keep employees updated about progress
- Ensure any necessary repairs to the outgoing office are completed
- Assign teams to unpack communal spaces
Tip: Have a company representative at both locations, especially if there are multiple removal trucks.
After the move
- Ensure both sites are cleaned thoroughly
- For large buildings, create signs so employees know where to go
- Induct staff at new premises
- Appoint fire wardens
- Update website with new business address and phone number
- Update all staff signatures
- Update all social media pages
- Advise all clients and customers of the new address
- Update any printed materials with address change
- Change your address on Google
Tip: Most things are online nowadays, but remember the snail mail too.
Your environmental footprint
- Change the light bulbs to more energy efficient options such as compact fluorescent lamps or low-energy LEDs
- Install motion detectors or timers to control lighting in less-frequented areas
- Moving is a great time to consider getting rid of the printer and going paperless
- Put air conditioning and heating on timers and pre-program the thermostat
Tip: Use the move to set up more sustainable options for energy consumption.